Exams are around the corner. I believe that all of you will be busy studying and turning in assignments. Some students feel that they are occupied by lots of commitments after entering university, such as joining different student organizations, working part-time and dating etc. Thus, they find it hard to concentrate on their studies. Concentration level can affect one’s revision outcome. If concentration level could be improved, you will be able to accomplish more with less effort.
In fact, one’s concentration level is affected by different factors, which include but are not limited to one’s attitude, environment, health, etc. What are the ways to improve concentration level?
Environment that facilitates revision
- Sufficient light
- Quiet environment
- Good ventilation
- Comfy seats
- Spacious working table
Stay away from distraction during revision
- Electronic devices, including cell phone, computer and tablet
- Online games, Youtube and social media
- Television, and video games
- Talkative friends, hallmates and family
- Magazines, novels and comics
Avoid being too hungry or too full
Either being too hungry or too full will make you hard to concentrate. Maintaining stable blood glucose level will help you learn and think efficiently. Thus, regular intake of appropriate amount of food can help improve your learning effectiveness.
Adequate sleep can energize you and enhance your memory and concentration level. Insist on sleeping 7-9 hours every day.
Specific revision target
Set clear, realistic and specific goals every time during revision. It gives you a sense of achievement and frees yourself from stress.
After completing a revision slot, you may give yourself some small rewards like eating an ice-cream, watching a TV program, going online, or flipping through magazines to boost your incentive. You may prepare a list of small rewards to reinforce yourself after each revision slot.
On top of that, you may also pay attention to the following tips:
- Divide revision time into several shorter slots, e.g. rest for 10 mins after every 50 mins.
- Bring all the books and stationery you need.
- When you think of something to do when revising, you may first jot it down and follow up after the revision slot.
- Jot important points while studying to maintain your concentration level and help you understand and memorize.
- If you cannot concentrate, take a break and calm yourself before revising again.